Sunday, February 8, 2009

More Matthew Lessons

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr


>

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.

Proverbs 3, 5-6




We are counting down to Matthew's procedure date with mixed feelings. Ready to move forward, fearful over the potential risks, excited over the potential improvements for him. And reminded by a faithful little boy that he is not concerned because there is really nothing any of us can do, he will be made comfortable by the anesthesia, the doctors will take care of him the best they can, and He is watching over him. So it is out of his hands, and he knows that His hands hold him.

Now, he is really more concerned about his basketball tournaments this week, because he feels that these results are up to him and he wants to work hard and do well.

The Serenity Prayer is so perfectly simple and correct, but not always easy to learn to live by no matter what age you are. But when your twelve year old son seems to understand it and stick to it, it really puts it in perspective.

I am very proud of his brothers and the efforts they have made, even when I know they went against their natural inclinations, to make life pretty normal these days while taking care of their brother in subtle ways. Avoiding agitating him, carrying things (Matt is not to lift or strain any weight right now), keeping his needs in mind but keeping it real.

We appreciate your prayers, we know we are never alone, we have Him, and those who love us through Him, who could ask for more?

1 comment:

Nate said...

I wish I could have half the faith that Matt does. I like to think of myself as a faithful, calm person, but Matt just blows me away. Love those Ellis boys!